Twitter is a social network born in the technologically distant year 2006. From the beginning, this platform has focused on short messages. So much so that some call Twitter a microblogging platform. Everything on Twitter revolves around user content and their brief states called tweets. The low limit of characters allowed per single tweet (at the beginning 140 characters, now doubled to 280 characters) has proved over the years one of the strengths of this social network.
Today Twitter is the social platform on which many world leaders communicate: the president of the United States, the Pope, various sports champions and pop stars. So Twitter more and more often, from an extraordinary means of information, has itself become the news. It is now common to read articles and journalistic insights born from one or more tweets of a famous person.
After registering, some people feel confused, because Twitter is completely different from Facebook. Some similarity is instead encountered with Instagram, which has borrowed part of the structure.
How to sign up for Twitter?
To use Twitter the first step is to register a Twitter profile, this is very simple and immediate, you can do it by going to the official page of the social network or by downloading the app for Android or iOS.
In all three circumstances, the procedure is similar, just press the “Subscribe” button and complete the form by entering the usual data: email (or telephone number), the username of your account, the password we have chosen (it will be the one that we will have to enter to access the service), name, surname, year of birth.
Once registration is complete, both on desktop and mobile, you will be invited to enter your profile photos and then indicate your main interests.
By indicating your interests, the social network can suggest which profiles to follow to start reading messages posted by other people on your Home. You will also be asked if you want to use the contacts in your address book to find friends already registered on Twitter, you can accept them by pressing the “Import contacts” button or reject them by pressing “No thanks”.
Now that the registration is complete, it’s time to introduce us to the functioning of the platform, exploring its various aspects.
How Does Twitter Work?
It is a social network that bases everything on immediacy, so much so that it is perfect for mobile use. On Twitter, everything revolves around content, without unnecessary distractions or interactions.
The interface that we will face after logging in is the following, consisting of several parts:
- The field in which to insert new tweets, that is the messages that everyone writes, we will discuss in detail in the dedicated section.
- In the “timeline” (or history), here we will find in the order of time all the tweets of the accounts or hashtags we follow.
- The “Trends for you”, also called “trend topics”, are the topics that have had the most tweets in their region in the last few hours.
- The bar with icons that allow you to access various important aspects, from the top: the first button allows you to return to the “Home”; the second allows you to enter the screen dedicated to the topics (topics) of the moment; the third allows access to notifications; the fourth to direct messages; the fifth to the lists; the sixth to his own profile; the seventh is the menu button that hides other items, the last is a large blue button that is used to create new tweets.
- At the top right of the interface is the convenient search box, useful for finding accounts and tweets of interest to us.
Limitations on Twitter
However, there are some limitations when operating on Twitter that you must keep in mind:
- it is not possible to customize your profile;
- we have already mentioned the 280 character limit for each tweet;
- it is possible to send a maximum of 1000 direct messages per day;
- you can make a maximum of 2400 tweets within 24 hours;
- you can follow up to 400 new people per day.
How do you post a message on Twitter?
The “public messages” of the social network are called tweets and can be of different types:
- common tweet, which can contain different types of content, text, images (including gifs), videos, or polls;
- retweeting, involves republishing someone else’s content;
- the answer, it’s about replying to someone else’s content (it’s basically a comment);
- the mention is a public tweet addressed to another person;
- the promoted tweet is a sponsored content.
- The different types of tweets are identified by their own symbology:
- the @ allows you to mention another account, thus making a mention;
- the # character identifies the hashtags that label the contents.
Creating a new tweet on Twitter is very easy, although the procedure is slightly different depending on the platform, on desktop:
- we go to the main page of the social network;
- immediately at the top of the centre will appear the section where you can enter your status, with a lot of mentions (@ account name) or hashtag (#topic);
- you can enrich your message by adding multimedia elements (images, videos or animated Gifs ), emojis, or polls (using the appropriate icons);
- once completed you can send by pressing the ” Tweet ” button.
- Alternatively, you can open the box to send a tweet by clicking on the ” Tweet ” button in the last position in the list on the left of the screen.